Direction comes from what we do, but motivation comes from why we do it. Here are some ways to lead teams with purpose.
1. Explore to execute. Look inward. What inspires you to do what you do and how can you clearly articulate it?
2. Inspire to empower. Share your purpose with the company. Use it to motivate your team. Nothing drives people like passion.
3. Permeate to persevere. Infuse your purpose into every aspect of the business (internal messaging, policies, and practices), and align your team.
4. Unite to thrive. A team must work well with one another to be successful. If they believe in the same cause, they’ll better serve it.
5. Communicate to motivate. Go beyond describing the tasks you assign to explaining the meaning behind those tasks.
6. Trust to be trusted. Develop mutual respect through common beliefs and lead the company through respect, not fear.
7. Cultivate culture to curate success. Focus on achieving purposeful results, not the minutiae of strict procedures.
8. Reflect to grow. Every leader should continually reevaluate their words and actions to be as productive and purposeful as possible so that their team will follow.
9. Exemplify to enlighten. Lead by example.
Source: Forbes | Graphic: Thoughtful Leader