Ambition is a mighty quality that motivates us to reach beyond what is considered possible. Whether we recognize it or not, many people are quietly ambitious. Some have internal ambition where they strive for personal success (e.g., entrepreneurship), and others are externally focused, where they strive for collective success (e.g., organizational growth).
While ambition has its ugly side, it is an essential ingredient for success. To better understand the nature of your desire, ask yourself:
1. Purpose. What is the motivation behind what you desire to achieve? E.g., Money, power, honor, helping others)
2. Vision. What do you aspire to achieve within a reasonable time frame?
3. Metrics. How will you measure how you are progressing towards your vision?
4. Priorities. What actions will you take in pursuit of your vision?
5. Promise. How will you hold yourself accountable?
6. Values. What guiding principles dictate how you accomplish your vision in good times and bad?
7. Behaviors. How will you act day-to-day and in the long-term to implement your vision and live up to your values?