Culture is made up of three layers, represented here by an iceberg:
- Behaviors, systems, policies and processes surrounding the way things are done
- Ideals, goals, values, and aspirations set by leadership
- Underlying assumptions that guide behavior
A leader’s influence on an organization and its culture can be subdivided into three general #culture types:
1. Constructive – encourage the attainment of organizational goals through people development; promote teamwork and synergy; and enhance individual, group, and organizational adaptability and effectiveness.
2. Aggressive/Defensive – lead people to focus on their own needs at the expense of those of their group and organization and lead to stress, turnover, and inconsistent performance.
3. Passive/Defensive – lead people to subordinate themselves to the organization, stifle creativity and initiative, and allow the organization to stagnate.
Sources: CultureIQ, HumanSynergisticsCircumplex